Hey! Someone help me with sound proofing ideas please...

I have just started materializing my dream of having my own audio studio...
So the beginning...like most beginnings...is very small...
At present, my "home studio" boasts of a Shure SM57 Dynamic microphone, M-Audio MobilePre USB Preamp, my Windows XP based laptop with Adobe Audition, a pair of headphones and...oh yes...all the passion in the world for the fascinating craft of Voice Acting...
To sum it up modestly, I record my auditions from a corner of my small dressing room with virtually no sound proofing thing...
And so...the audition recordings clearly reflect the "hiss" sound & at times, a "tin can" sound...
From what I am able to assess, I think I am in dire need of sound proofing, but don't want to spend a lot on it, as of now...
So..I need a wise comment on converting the small place into one of the best studios of the galaxy (yours, of course included)
Thnx

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gaurav, here's a youtube link with sound proofing videos
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=soundproofing&searc...
Thnx for the adive Rick.
But I was looking for a cheaper & practical booth for the moment...The ones there on the site are a little pro kinds..

Anyways, thnx for the prompt help buddy....
I'm using a walk-in closet with heavy moving blankets draped al around. Works pretty good.
Thnx Steven for that wonderful practical advice...
That can be a good option!
Gaurav
Ironic you say this Steven. I just did the same thing today. Cleaned out a Walk-In closet, used old telephone wire as support beams, draped heavy beach towels; No more echo. Cost: $ ZERO.

I see it like this. Radio is a sound medium, not appearance. If I were looking to videotape a spot or two, I'd be worried lol

-Brian
Thnx J
I like the idea of Harlan Hogan's porta booth...Very cost effective & mobile thing...Hope it cuts down the hiss sound in my auditions...
Just let me know how did u rig the thing to sit on mic stand pl
Gaurav
Hey G
I did a session a few months ago where the Producer was using a Mic-thing. Its was quite effective. and he had no wall treatment at all....he did though clean it up with processing. Steven....your right on the blankets....I did that in my first studio years ago. it works.

I'm just finishing my hopefully last studio for many years to come and its the smallest one yet. atsacoustics.com has some wonderful panels that do a hell of a job. and the neighbors dont bitch. (condo living) The price tag wasn't bad at all,and they are a snap to install.

keep em down!
Von
Thnx V
I'll check up with atsacoustics.com...
Otherwise the options of blankets or the porta booth r ringing bells in my head
All the best for your new studio by the way...Hope u have a really great time in there.
Gaurav
Those blankets work great. I'm also in a walk in closet in which the walls have extra insulation and I use foam. Oh, and wine corks. Lots of corks. Hic.

Are you sure the hiss is coming from the room and not the equipment? You def. want to make sure the mic is not right near the monitor, but you probably know this already.
Hi Mandy!

Thnx for taking out the time to help...
The idea of these blankets is surely a nice one...quite cost effective...But then that needs me to have a walk in closet....again...space issues u see...

Wat i think will suit my needs at the moment is the porta booth option...the reviews say it sounds quite pro...I hope so...

Also, I think the "hiss" is the ambience sound only coz the comp & mic r quite distant when the rec mode is on !!

Thnx again for ur advice...Wish u all the best
Gaurav
I've found just hanging blankets around your space can help "shape" your recording space. I use PVC pipes to make little stands for temp baffles.

Also, to help with noise, you can try a low cut filter and a little noise reduction. Use that last one sparingly though.
Ok...Thnx for the advice...
I haven't used the low cut fillter as yet...(I suppose it is the low pass filter only).... Will try the idea surely.
Thnx again...

RSS

© 2019   Created by VU - Founder - Zurek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service