CBS Promo Session with Joe Cipriano

Comment by ABRAÃO SILVA on April 11, 2012 at 2:05pm

Uma voz maravilhosa grande Joe cipriano.

Comment by Sandra Joseph on June 13, 2011 at 12:43am
Very interesting to see how it's done! Thanks for posting
Comment by Lcdo. Pepe Saenz on October 23, 2010 at 3:20am
Gran escuela para todos! gracias por entregarnos una experiencia de tu talento... Exitos!
Comment by Custom DJ Drops on August 29, 2010 at 3:08pm
Joe, curious as to how you have your studio cam hooked up to your mic chain. It is a very clean signal.
Thanks,
Jay
Comment by Sonya Cerdan on August 28, 2010 at 2:19pm
Thank you for posting this Joe, that was fun to watch! Love your style.
Comment by Sarah Elmaleh on February 15, 2010 at 7:17pm
Only just stumbled on this - what an INCREDIBLE resource! Thank you for being so very generous.
Comment by Joe Cipriano on January 16, 2010 at 1:49am
Hi Sandii...there are no timings on the script. It's all "feel" on the the first take, that's the first time you hear (see) the spot. For me, on that first read I just feel my way through it, reading at a speed that I "think" will work. After that first read, you know instantly where you were long and where you were short...and you fix it on the second read. That should be it except for picking up tags. Obviously, the more you do it...the better you get at it. Joe
Comment by Sandii.com on January 15, 2010 at 12:13pm
Hey Joe! Thanks for posting that! - Was really interesting to watch.
Just wondering what type of additional information you have to work with, on the PDF script, apart from just your lines.. You seemed very aware of how many seconds you had, to deliver each individual line, in each section that broke away from the actors. So am interested to know wether CBS break down the amount of seconds you have for each section of the script..? Or do they email you the audio files of the promo in advance? Either way, it was darn impressive to see you nail it, first take!
Thanks again! - Sandii K :)
Comment by Joe Cipriano on January 13, 2010 at 1:37pm
Thomas Bromhead: Hi Joe,Is that a stopwatch you have in your hand or are you checking your vouniverse inbox? Thanks for sharing the video.

LOL...yes it is a stopwatch and sometimes I check my inbox :-) The stopwatch is how I keep track of the total time of the promo. This is an important part of recording to video live (even though I'm not seeing the video) if we are doing a :30 second promo, I have be "out" at 29 seconds and 20 frames. We have to leave 10 frames of audio free so that when the promo hits the air you don't get cut off when the next promo of commercial comes up. If you don't leave about 10 to 7 frames that's when you hear on the air:...."Tonight on C B eh" or "Tonight on FOCK" :-) So, at the top of the spot where you hear the "3 beeps" on that imaginary 4th beep, I start my stopwatch. When I get to the end of the spot, I check my stopwatch so I can judge how quickly I have to read the tag...if you don't have an idea of exactly where you are, you can't successfully leave those 10 frames at the end. In this video, we redid one or two tags because I went past the 10 frame out point.

It's a good question. The timing issue of finishing your last word is very critical in network promo.
Comment by Joe Cipriano on January 13, 2010 at 1:27pm
Thanks Gang! Randye, I'm looking at the scripts on an Apple Cinema display. Scripts are emailed to me in pdf format.

JC...if you go back to your birth-name, I guess I will have to as well.

Joe