A brief tour of my new ISDN voiceover booth and studio

Comment by Alan Bainbridge on September 30, 2011 at 3:22pm
Always great to see how other folks work. Thanks for sharing, Darren.
Comment by Tracy Greenwood on September 29, 2011 at 11:47am

Awesome stuff for a total newbie like me. My plan for the week is to get business cards, hire somebody to do my web site, and find a place to make a demo.

best,

T

Comment by Jeffrey Wolf on September 27, 2011 at 10:45pm

Darren,

Just watched the video. Thanks! It was great. I need some sort of booth where I am. On your editing desk outside the booth, are those Alesis monitors I'm seeing?

Regards,

Jeff

Comment by Darren Altman on September 27, 2011 at 4:59pm

Frank, my guy charged me £1500 ($2,345) to build the booth, ex-cluding materials. It's made with a wooden frame, then plaster-baord, then compressed rockwool. An airgap, then hanging Tecsound T50, which is a heavy acoustic mineral, another airgap, then hanging underlay, a final gap, then the blue curtain. All these layers are also in the floor and ceiling.

I got the basic structure from an article on the  Sound On Sound website. They said that in order to minimise outside noise, it's imperative to have several air gaps/layers factored in, hence the rockwool, T50, underlay and curtain.

Comment by Nick O'Rourke on September 27, 2011 at 1:06am
Great looking set up Darren, well done.
Comment by Morgan Bailey Keaton on September 26, 2011 at 5:57pm
Well done! Looks great. You need some decorative spiff, though :)
Comment by Frank Cabanski on September 26, 2011 at 11:47am
It's pretty exciting to me.  Darren, what is the treatment in the booth and if you're willing to share, what was the approximate cost?
Comment by Darren Altman on September 26, 2011 at 9:05am
Stefan. 1) I have only had this studio up and running since March, so it's new to me! 2) I never said it was exciting. I'm just sharing my set up with my colleagues. People may or may not be interested.
Comment by GRAY GLEASON on September 26, 2011 at 5:24am
GEE - that was a rude stupid and rather foreign comment, wasn't it. . .  Hmmmm - you know how it is Stefan, sometimes you just have to share your "new bike" with your friends . . .  and (by the way) it's a lovely bike!  Aloha! Tito gray - voice guy - - www.graysvoice.com
Comment by Stefan Chinell Voiceovers on September 26, 2011 at 4:48am
Please excuse me for being a rude stupid foreigner...but what is so new and exciting about this...really?

:-)