Anyone have a good "Hurry up and Wait" story?

Years ago I was working a shoot for a toy (it was a video based educational toy). We're all there ready to go, tapes all loaded up on those BVH 2000's, camera ops, light guys, sound guys, beautiful set, wonderful actors, puppets, and puppetiers. This was a huge shoot. Had to be there by 7:30 am to go.

7:30 comes and goes and we're all waiting. The whole day goes by. Not a nanosecond on tape. Same thing the second day. Finally in the middle of the third day we find out what was going on. The Art Director and the Producer were duking it out over the set. So we settled in to watch the Ollie North trial (yeah, it was THAT long ago)-- cast and crew. We got to know eachother pretty well. This went on for two weeks. Yep, you read that right. TWO WHOLE WEEKS! They ashcanned the set and started all over while we waited.

And that's how I met Jambie from Pee Wee's Playhouse.

Mecca lecca high mecca hiney ho!

Would love to hear other's tales of "Hurry up and Wait". Post 'em if you got 'em!

Views: 26

Sound better at Voice Over Essentials

Add a comment

You need to be a member of Voiceover Universe to add comments!

Join Voiceover Universe

Comment by Dina Monaco-Boland on August 16, 2008 at 10:26pm
Boy, that is something David! What a crack-up.. just one measly paragraph. That's how it goes sometimes.

Arlene, I had no idea you were a driver!! How cool is that?!?! Just wondering.... (not that I think all you guys know eachother) but do you happen to know a Joe Paoletti? He's a driver that works loads of shoots in the city. I give you loads of credit, man. I hate driving in the city normally (I kinda freak in the loop-- outside, not so much) but to do what you do? Fuggedaboudit!

Sometimes I think that it's a bit obscene the money that's tossed around in this biz.
Comment by Arlene Kahn on August 12, 2008 at 2:23am
I have two hurry up and wait stories. When Spiderman II was in Chicago I was hired as a driver. The last day of shooting we had a 6:30 a.m. call. This was in December and I think it was 20 degrees out and we were pretty much freezing our butts off. We sat for five hours before they used us. Then there were several hours of waiting in between. When the director realized he was losing his light everything went into panic mode and we were told to drive around the block as fast as we could so they could get some shots of the L train with the cars underneath. As I look back, that was pretty much the pattern for the four days I worked on the film.

Then on "Wanted" I was hired as a precision driver. We sat in holding for 10 hours one day while they shot on lower Wacker Drive without us. The catering company they hired was great and we ate really well, took naps, read a little and got paid the higher precision driver rate. It's not a whole lot of money, but I sure as hell can't complain about hanging out with a bunch of people and getting paid.

Arlene Kahn
Comment by David Seys on July 20, 2008 at 12:27pm
I was booked for a medical video narration in London. I live a little outside London in the country, but I took the car, the train, the underground and walked to the studio. On the way, my agent calls and says to go home as the script was not ready, but they would be paying the cancellation fee. No problem, but the same happened the next day, the day after, and then for another 4 days. By now we were racking up a good amount of money for me to just sit in the train every day.

Finally, The producer appeared at the session. I could not wait to find out what this script looked like that had taken such a painful and expensive birth. I asked to see it. Iwas handed one sheet of paper......with one paragraph on it. One short paragraph......and $4800!!!!!

© 2019   Created by VU - Founder - Zurek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service