Barter Town (kind of like Craigslist) online posting site? Has anyone heard of it, used it, good, bad?

Greetings everyone,

I trust that all is well and that everyone is busy with new VO projects.  I am thankful at least to have several "irons in the fire" (but nothing concrete yet) and also a new client for which I am voicing some bank commercials.

I have a question, has anyone heard of and/or used "bartertown.net"?  I guess it is kind of like Craigslist.  If so, what are folk's experience with it?  Good, bad, worth/not worth the time?

Thanks so much,
Judy

Cheyenne, WY

Views: 280

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry Judy, I haven't heard of Barter Town but am curious about what you find out. Looking forward to the posts.

Gayle Evans

A Voice with the Right Hook

Hi Judy-

No direct experience with this site, but I have experience with barter.

While barter can work for some situations, I've decided to refrain from barter transactions as much as possible. It's been my experience that when people are bartering it doesn't get the priority attention that a paid gig would get.

I found that people in barter situations will push back a barter project in favor of a cash project because money is something people use for all sorts of things and satisfies more immediate needs.

If you agree to do VO in exchange for a new web page, or something - well, you can only use the web page as a web page. You can use the money to buy a web page, new mic, pay the electric bill, car payment, etc. You get the idea.

As a result people will do a paid gig before a barter gig. Heck - I'm guilty of this myself.

Anyway - that's my take on barter.

Whatever you choose to do, best of luck with it.

John

http://www.JohnMelley.com/VOMarketing

Gayle and John,

Thanks so much, I will do more research and see if this "bartertown" deal is for me or not.  Here is the link http://www.thebartertown.net/ to the site if you are interested.

As far as bartering goes, I am in agreement with you John.  Of course there may be a few circumstances down the road that will be an exception, but for now I plan to continue dealing with cash transactions.

Thank you,
Judy

RSS

© 2018   Created by VU - Founder - Zurek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service