Hello,

I recently was asked to quote a :30 radio spot, which I did.  It turns out the one spot turned into three separate radio spots.  The spots are for the same client, with only minor changes to the script (basically the same words were just move around to make for three different versions).  I will charge full price for the first spot, but should I charge less for the other two being that there were only small script changes or do a charge full price for all three?  What is appropriate?

Thanks so much to Dan and this great group,

Judy

Views: 178

Replies to This Discussion

I think you should charge a smaller fee than the original :30 radio spot but be sure to make it reasonable.  The client could become a regular ;-)

Judy - I'm assuming that this is a non-union job. The union or any agent would definitely charge full price for the other 2 spots. But I suggest giving them a break on the others, maybe knock off 25%, even though they're full spots. Since the wording isn't drastically changed, I would hope that they'd appreciate your consideration and hire you again. Make sure you tell them that you're giving them a deal, though, so they know. Of course, if you think they're taking advantage or will never hire you again, then by all means, charge full price for all 3.

Hope this helps.

Beverly

Bear in mind that a talent fee covers not only your time in production, but pays for USE of the materials, as well. Be clear on this point. The client is paying for your time in studio, and the USE of your voice.  For this reason, a Union job would pay for three distinct, full spots, and use over a specified period of time. A non-union job may offer greater room for negotiation, but not to the degree that you're open to being taken advantage of. And if you read all three versions of the spot, rather than a master version and the pickup lines, you're entitled to the full trifecta on your invoice. You did the work. You deserve to get paid. 

And, in any event, regardless of how long it takes to record the spots, the client is still going to USE the work. You deserve to get paid.

Now, there are considerations. Is this a good client? Is this a NEW client? Is this a recurring client with whom collections have been an issue for you?

If it's a well established, good client, with a good pay record, offer a discount. 25% off the second and third spots would not be unreasonable.  A 3 for 2 package is also pretty common in the biz. Especially, if the session went quickly and took less than an hour. But remember, the client is paying for USE, as well. And, everyone involved with this spot is going to make money on it. The client is going to make money on the use of the spot. So is the carrier who airs the spot. And the agency handling the account. Why should YOU be offering concessions?. Especially, if USE is the same for all three spots.

And if the other two spots air in different markets, you definitely deserve the full rate for all three spots. Make sure they're not markets larger than where the first spot will run.

Now, If the client is a NEW client, don't offer a discount at all. Charge the full rate for three, to establish your rate card. Even if they ask. If you yield up front, you'll never be able to get a full rate with this client. If you hold to the rate card, they'll respect you when they come back. Especially if the work is good. When they come back, and if they've paid in a timely fashion on the first project, THEN offer a discount on the third session and beyond. Or even the second session. But never on the first. Remember, this is a new client. You have no history, and no track record. Offering benefits at this stage of the game is an insult to your well established, recurring clients.

If this is a recurring client with collection history issues, no discount under any circumstances.

That said, I cut deals every day. Offer discounts. Even bonus pieces. But ONLY to long term established clients who have a track record of timely pay, and no headaches. The more trouble I have with a client, the fewer concessions I make, because the fewer concessions they've earned.

Make sense?

p

Denise, Beverly and D.,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.  You brought up some points that I had not thought of yet.  As I have gathered information I now have a very good idea as to how I will invoice this client for the said work. 

What a great group this is.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Have a Happy, Safe 4th of July,

Judy

RSS

© 2018   Created by VU - Founder - Zurek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service