I'm sure many of you might belong to online casting sites like Voices.com. Voice 123, VOPlanet or even be on someone's talent roster at an agency or website. As a casting director specializing in computer games, I can say that by the time we get a request for voices, it's always the last hair of the tail that wags the dog. If I email talents and say, "Please call me no later than tomorrow evening," or give a couple of days notice, I expect at least an email reply fairly quickly. This is not asking for someone to record an audition, because I prescreen on the phone and together, we come up with which parts you're best suited for.
If I don't hear back after I leave you a voicemail message, I hope to hear back within 24 hours. If not, I'm in a bind, since I'm not just one of many casting directors filling the character slots, it's all my gig and I have to cast everything ASAP.

With the online sites, the general rule of thumb is to submit as quickly as you can. The early bird stands a lot better chance than being the 75th person someone hears. I'm guilty of not being able to answer every audition notice from the online membership sites, but if I get asked by one of my agents or in this case, if you were asked by me, that's a different story and you should ALWAYS respond immediately, even if you are saying PASS.

Most agents or websites either don't have time to investigate more details regarding character descriptions or that's not part of what your subscription entitles you to.
With the online sites, you have to give it your best guess, submit with whatever accompanying letter you want to further your cause, along with your direct contact info and hope you get that call. Some people theorize that unless you jump right on an online casting notice as soon as it's posted, your chances dwindle.
Voicebank dot net allows a client to choose whatever agencies they want the casting notice to go to. It can be just one or two, or every agency----and if you get the same audition from multiple agents, it's best to honor whoever sent it to you first.

In the case of agency auditions sent to me to record, I've seen most give anywhere from 2 days or more (depending on when a holiday or weekend falls) to respond.
I have gotten two auditions in the last two days from someone who leads a group on this site, asking for the audition to be done asap the same day. This is unusual, and sometimes it's impossible to do unless you at least have overnight to get the job done.
I'm not blaming anyone, just telling you that as an actor, we can get called by an agent who wants us to show up at a cattle call several miles away the next day and we get the call at 7pm the night before.
You are expected to sacrifice your time and sanity for the biz so welcome to the wacky world of entertainment everybody!
I think stress sometimes brings out the best voices in us. It's our therapy.
Keep the tongue wagging and best to all.

Views: 53

Replies to This Discussion

Some really good points here Lani and I whole-heartedly agree.
I am linked in with voices.com and have been for the last 3 years. Feel free to drop by http://blair2air.voices.com.
While I have learned a great deal about voice acting here and at other sites, I've seen many-an-audition requesting the same day as the posting. I can appreciate deadlines and that's just one reason I strive to provide within 24 hours.
I might add: I am currently doing commercial spots for a video production company and they mentioned to aim for a 48 hour window. With my last 60 sec gig I was able to have a finished product delivered to them in 4 hours. This won't always happen, but it was nice to be able to give that fast turn-around.
The company was happy with prompt payment and the client was happy with the finished product...what more could I ask for?

Cheers!

Blair Wilson
Thanks for your comments and I hope you continue to thrive. Fast turnarounds are also something I try to do, but in the event you might be elsewhere (maybe even recording at another studio) and not be in front of your computer when the notice comes in, I think everyone should theoretically be allowed overnight to be able to catch up with emails they may have missed during the day. As far as delivering the product once you land the gig, I'm always quick to turn things around as I'd most likely lose track if I didn't. :)
Keep your irons in the fire!
Lani
Roger that!

Cheers!

Blair
Wow that sounds like some crazy fun. I hope someday to be able to voice some of the games that I have paid so much money to buy over the years. Do you need to live near LA or can you audition remotely for those projects?

BTW My demo is being recorded the 22nd of June and I will post it then for everyones listening pleasure. Can't wait to get it done and try to get out there marketting!!

Mike
MIchael, I think it depends on who you work with whether you have to be in the studio to record a game. If there are cut scenes with animation or video already in place which you have to loop over, then it's important to be in their studio. Otherwise I often try to incorporate new talent that may not necessarily be in our area either via phone patch or speaker phone as long as we pretest to make sure the studio and mic can match our studio and dry sound. You can usually audition remotely and not all games are recorded in LA :)
I work with clients around the world. Sometimes we'll have a client fly in from Germany to be at the session, and other times we can be on phone patch conference calls with anywhere...even using Skype.
I'd love to hear your demo ideas before you record them if you are up to it. lani@audiogodz.com and we can work out a time for a phoner. Also remember not to send out unsolicited demos willy-nilly. Unfortunately your chances of getting a bite are far less than being recommended by someone you know who is already at an agency.
Hope that helps!
The information and experiences you're sharing are very helpful in getting a perspective on the process. Thanks and I plan to keep reading.
You are very welcome Bonnie. I might add that every agent has their own specific way they want you to slate your file with your name or not. They may not want you to say the name of the agency or maybe they do,
Some want you to say the name of the part you are doing, but most don't unless there are a bunch of different roles coming in the same audition.
Keep up your good work and good luck with all.
Lani
As far as how soon should you respond to a casting notice or for that matter a casting call I would say
NOW!!!!! Now is always the answer in the performing arts!

RSS

© 2019   Created by VU - Founder - Zurek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service