What stage of your voice acting career did you begin to record from a home studio? Is it something that a voice actor should strive to obtain in their professional career?

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not quite sure how you could do this without a home studio. I see the Los Angeles point of view, but does that mean you have to go into the agent's booth to audition every day? That's a lot of driving, and L.A. driving at that.
I used to have some foam on the walls of a small room that worked okay for me, but since I bought the Sennheiser 416 and a Whisper Room I feel like I'm in a real studio and I am booking more because of it.
It's a big investment, but if you want to get gigs, you need to sound professional.
I see these videos about "anyone can do voice overs" and I think, really? Not everyone can be as committed to spending the money and hearing no as much as you do as a voice actor. It isn't for everyone, and I'm afraid those who profess that "anyone" can do it are only preying on people's hopes and making a profit from it.
Hi Joey,

Do you think building a studio should be first priority for a beginner in the voice over field?
Maria,
I think you'd need to find out if you have something to offer the voice over world would be a good place to start. Ask someone who has a good reputation and experience in the world of VO if you have potential. I've heard your demos and I think you do have potential. But get more opinions for sure. If you're early in your career and money is tight, do what you can without 'building' the studio. Treat the room you work in by hanging blankets and rugs to deaden the sound and get a good mic. That's really important. There's a term that love and live by: fake it 'till you make it.
Once you start getting steady work, then that's the time to build the studio.
Thank you for your insite Joey. I will take everything you have said into consideration.

I do believe that I have many things to offer the voice over world based on both professional opinion and my own sense of self. If I don't believe 100% that I can make it in the voice over world then I've already failed and should consider another line of work.
Bottom line....lol...if you have made the decision to really sink your teeth into this...you should start the process of getting a few things together so that you can start recording from home. The reason is, is that it takes time and patience to figure out HOW to do it, WHAT sounds the best (settings, angles, dials, de-essers perhaps, compression levels...etc).....I am willing to bet 100% of the pay from my next VO gig...that ALL OF US with home studios learn something new almost weekly if not more, about/with our home recording chain of equipment.

So, even if you aren't using it RIGHT NOW....it is my opinion that you should start playin and practicin to find your sound. And then once you find your sound....well, might as well use it~~ =)

Best,

Thank you Mike. I see exactly what you are saying. The learning process never stops so I definitely want to learn as much as possible.

I am just going to start off with basic programs and work my way up. Prioritize progress over the end result.
Now you're talkin'>>>> There is Audacity, which is free. (I am not endorsing any one particular product here!!) You can start to learn the basics of recording, WAV editing, saving files, processing...etc....easy stuff~~ You can get a good/decent sounding mic on any given day at Guitar Center, Sam Ash...etc. for slightly under or slightly above 100.00. Have them set up 3 or 4 for you to test out and see which one makes you feel warm and fuzzy in the headphones. There are some USB mics out there (no preamp or interface necessary....just straight into the computer)....etc....there are a lot of inexpensive options to help you "get started"....ask someone in the Pro-Audio dept at a big music store to help you....and give them your budget....do it one at a time....just get used to the waters slowly. That's my FIRM opinion for ya~
I had my first ISDN studio in around 94 or 95 I think, it was quite soon after ISDN started replacing the dreaded driving all around the country. Before that i just had a little booth and made DAT's for overseas clients, and drove thousands of miles a year!
Thanks Tanya! Do you just record from home now, or do you occasionally record at a studio for the client?
Most VO actors can benefit from getting a simple mic and easy software and hearing themselves read from home. Many casting sites that you pay to subscribe to wouldn't be practical unless you had a home studio. Today, the world is electronically connected so if you're serious about getting out there, you need to record at home. But with the right mic, you don't have to build a soundproof booth and invest in a boom or mic stand.
Thanks Lani. When do you think recording at home became the standard practice?
It certainly beats running to the agency for auditions---Im sure that there are many reasons to make personal visits to your agent though. Let the knowledgable speak on this issue---

David Davies...

RSS

© 2020   Created by VU - Founder - Zurek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service