While I'm new to the Party Party (and glad to be here; a tip of my floppy green hat to all the working pros), I'm old to Studio Sessions, and figured I might as well get right on to the dance floor here.
To me, the butterflies should be fluttering at the audition stage only. That's as it should be. I mean, once you're at the session, it's because they invested the time and process to select you. It's all about mind-set, and I say, let them be nervous. I know I can do the job.

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting thread, Robert. For the most part I agree... but I have to say that every time before I got on stage (in my theatre days) I would be all hyped up- nervous (I'm high strung anyway) but once I walked out there it was like I walked through an invisible wall that took all that nervousness away and transformed it into energy for the performance; backstage and I'd be all nervous again.

I recently had the opportunity to do an audition for an on camera job. To be honest, it wasn't something I wanted to do-- I had the option of doing just the voice audition, camera or both. I requested just the voice but said I'd be more than happy to do the on camera if they wanted. Well, they wanted. I was totally freaked since I've been packing on the pounds since Christmas, my hair looked like crap since I was growing it out for Locks for Love, and did I mention I was fat? I was squashed into my suit like a vienna sausage and completely freaked out because I've never auditioned on camera before. Oh, plus this was green-screen work.

To say I was nervous would be an understatement. But they never knew. It was a crack up. They were like, "Wow, you're really good at this-- green screen and all! How long have you been doing this?" and honest me said "I've never done this before in my life and I'm all a-jumble inside!" They really had a hard time believing that. So, I guess I was good at acting like I was not nervous when I was completely whacked out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... I really wish I didn't have this nervous thing in me. I wish I did have the mind-set to "let them be nervous" but I'm just not there yet. Guess I'm too green. Thing is.... I can become someone else who is confident but I can't be Dina and confident. Weird, huh?

My happy ending to this story was that I did get hired onto their roster. The nervous vienna sausage in a pant suit!

RSS

© 2019   Created by VU - Founder - Zurek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service