Does anybody have experience using one of these in a home studio that does not have a booth? It looks interesting, but I'd hate to invest the $300 and find out it's not worth it. Using an AT-3035 Mic.

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

J. S.; Great information in your reply! Many thanks for this. Regards, Dennis
Dennis let me say I am very pleased with mine after having been exposed to
one at an engineer friend's studio.
I suffer from live to close to a major roadway-itis also apartment life ambience
can be challenging, (hardwood floors,neighbors ..) I truly feel as though I got a good return
on my investment in the SE.
I supplemented my SE with a backing booth I built with PVC, insulation,and Foambymail
so for half of what the SE costs, I now just pull my little booth around me and it seems to augment the SE nicely and is built to my body for perfect fit, and the spatial adjustment
on the SE works wonderfully to accomodate room needs as JS said if placed correctly.

Hope this helps a bit not as detailed as J S's but my space is not as technically precise it
would seem to me, so please consider mine voiceover opinion on a budget.

Have a great one and record well
E
Hi, Eric! Thanks for the info. It sounds like you've got it worked out for your needs. I know what you mean about the ambient noise. I seem to live in a major helicopter corridor, and those things make an incredible amount of noise. Fortunately you can hear them coming from a long way off, so I can adjust my recordings accordingly. The SE or one of its counterparts are beginning to look like a good solution for me. Best regards, Dennis
Hi, J. S. WOW! With a setup like that, I may not need to invest the $$$$ for a booth! I recently had my wife pick up some of that "waffle" foam that you can put on your bed mattress, and I was going to construct an enclosure using some of that, but like so many other things....they just don't make it like they used to. What used to be a couple of inches thick is now less than an inch. I like the idea of those blankets, especially since I'm working on top of a quarry tile floor. I've done a lot of woodworking so I'm looking forward to building something that serves my needs and doesn't break the bank. You've provided some great experience and advice. Many thanks, J.S.! Regards, Dennis
You can always use new packing blankets for something like that too. I try to keep four or five around for impromptu baffles and such.
Harbor Freight sells quilted packing blankets for about $7 a piece shipped. They also sell some really decent spring clips to help with some of this stuff. Pack of 15 should be about $5.
Haven't tried it personally, but I read somewhere about comb-filter issues using it... from the reviews here, it doesn't seem like a general problem, though.
Hi, SomeAudioGuy and Jacob. Thanks for your comments on this topic. A lot of good ideas circulating here. Some: I was going to abbreviate your "handle" to SAG, but I think that one is already taken by some organization that loves to mess with actors. I'm sure that isn't you! Funny, but that picture kind of reminds me of that organization too! Regards to both, Dennis
Hi Dennis -

I used one of these before I built my booth and was generally pleased with the results. While it does nothing, and isn't designed to block ambient noise that might be coming from your neighbors, etc., it does a nice job cutting down on the ugly bounce you can get recording in an untreated or under-treated room, and gives you a pleasing "dead" sound compared to recording without it. I had good success using it with my TLM-103 in a 5'X 6' space with some acoustical foam behind me.

All in all, it's a nice piece of gear, but there are probably much cheaper home made alternatives that will work just as well. Even though it's pretty heavy and bulky to lug around, I still use it these days as part of my traveling gear.

As J.S. Gilbert mentioned in this thread, you might look into something lighter like Harlan Hogan's rig. Also, check out this page for a cheaper DIY alternative (sorry Harlan:).

Cheers -

Chris Flockton
Chris, Thanks a lot for your reply. I've got some good acoustic foam and I'm pretty handy, so I'm going to make my own and see how it works out. I'll report back to the group with my version. Best regards, Dennis.
Oops, a typing mistake. My bad. I meant to say, "it does nothing to reduce ambient noise," which in my experience is true, even if SE claims otherwise. Ambient noise, in this case, being dogs, birds, kids, computer fans, neighbor's chainsaws, etc.

Chris.

RSS

© 2019   Created by VU - Founder - Zurek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service